Rule #1: always post the rules Rule #2: answer the questions the person who tagged you asked and write 11 new ones Rule #3: tag 11 people and link them to the post Rule #4: tell them when you tag them
Questions from novangla
1. If you could spend five years living in three times/places (travel is limited by the time period!), which would you choose?
Jesus, that’s specific.
I’d probably choose:
- The American Revolution (AD 1774-1779), because it’s the most exciting time in English history that sets the tone for the next several centuries politically
- Ancient Greece/Mediterranean (BC 240-235), because that’s when all of the Wonders of the Ancient World were all standing - I’d go visit and see them all over the years
- The Reformation (AD 1545-1550), because it’s the most important time period in Western Christianity. I’d want to see Luther and Calvin and end up hanging out with Ignatius of Loyola after checking in on England (and I’d hit the first printing of the Book of Common Prayer).
2. What are your favorite given names?
Like… of my given names?
I’d probably say “Thomas” because it’s better than the other two, even though it’s the one I don’t use (because my parents never called me by it), nor is it my last name, so it gets no use. I’ve been considering going by “Fr. Thomas” when I get ordained, and then by “Eric” to my friends.
Or… in general?
Probably also Thomas (for boys). At least in terms of names I could name children and not just names I think are cute or neat. I once wanted to name twin boys Erasmus and Elmo to keep with the E-name thing (which I’ve since given up, duh).
For girls? I haven’t a clue. There are really cool names (like Thalia or Piper, so I guess whatever Rick Riordan decides is a good given name) that I’d probably never give a child but that sound amazing. My girlfriend rather likes Theodora, and I’m not gonna let that happen to a child.
3. First fandom?
On Tumblr, probably Avatar: The Last Airbender. In life, probably Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (or… WWE/WWF *shudder*?).
In literature, Redwall or The Wheel of Time.
4. How do you self-identify, religiously?
Anglo-Catholic (and Christian Socialist, politically)
5. Favorite historical figure?
People are really fascinating, but the people I would most like to get a beer with are not the people whose thinking I like the most, so “favorite” is hard. So, let’s put it this way:
Favorite historical figure to drink with? Salvador Dali, probably, or any of the American literary and artistic ex-pats in Paris during the early 20th century. Except Hemmingway, because that would be super depressing.
Favorite historical figure to learn from? Socrates, probably. Though I’d be pretty sad to watch him drink that hemlock.
Favorite historical personality? Thomas Jefferson. He is insane, and brilliant, and ridiculous.
6. What’s the story behind your tumblr username?
It was my original AIM screename, and I spent FOREVER just sitting there at the computer thinking about what a good name would be (not realizing I’d actually keep it, unlike, it seems, everyone else).
7. Which Hogwarts house would you be in?
Gryffindooooooooor. Because justice.
8. Would you ever consider running for political office?
Yes. We need more liberal religious leaders in office to counteract the stupid, fundamentalist ones we have now, and to show that religion is not about bigotry, but about love and unification with God (in whom there can be no hatred). Also because I’m actually good at leading people?
9. What’s been your favorite age/year of school, growing up?
Ugh, I forget most of growing up unless it’s a specific thing I’m trying to remember (like a class or something). I loved school, but I didn’t really like growing up for some reason?
10. Do you want or have kids of your own?
Yes. 1-3 (so, two, but I’d settle with one if I got it right the first time).
11. If you could change one thing about one of your current fandoms (doesn’t need to be a favorite, w/e), what would it be? ((“Fire Stephen Moffat” isn’t allowed - that’s too easy))
I’d make the Wheel of Time fandom bigger with more art? It’s so small right now, which is a shame, because Robert Jordan created one of the best worlds.